Guardianship Tribunal

  1. Home
  2. Guardianship Tribunal

Financial Management and Guardianship

When a person loses capacity to make decisions about their finances or health and does not have appropriate estate planning in place (Power of Attorney and Enduring Guardianship documents) an application will need to be made to the Guardianship Tribunal for a financial management and/or guardianship order. An application can also be made to vary or discharge an existing Power of Attorney or Enduring Guardianship.

When do I need a Financial Management or Guardianship Order?

In cases where parties no longer have the capacity to execute an Enduring Power of Attorney and an Enduring Guardianship loved ones often have to make an application to the Guardianship Tribunal for a Financial Management or Guardianship Order.

Under the Guardianship Act 1987 the Guardianship Tribunal has the authority to appoint financial managers and guardians for people with decision making disabilities.

The Guardianship Tribunal must conduct a Hearing to assess capacity of the person of whom a Financial Management or Guardianship Order is applied on behalf of, and their capacity as well as the appropriate person who should be appointed that position.

At the Hearing, there is an opportunity for the person who is subject to the Application as well as other interested people to present their views to the tribunal for their consideration.

The Tribunal also considers reports from professionals including mental health assessments prepared by psychologists and well as other reports prepared by other medical practitioners.

Request information

We’d be happy to send through some documents which may help you. Please complete the form below and we’ll send them straight out to you.

What is a Financial Manager?

A Financial Manager is someone who is authorised to make financial and legal decisions on behalf of a person who is not capable of managing their own affairs.

This means that a financial manager can conduct all undertake all financial decisions on behalf of the person who no longer has capacity which includes the following:

  1. To buy and sell any assets (including buying and selling any homes);
  2. To pay all bills on behalf of the person who has lost capacity;
  3. To buy assets and to invest money on behalf of the person; and

Any other financial decisions on behalf of the person who has lost capacity.

What is a Guardian?

A Guardian is someone who is authorised to make personal or lifestyle decisions on behalf of the person who has lost capacity. They cannot make financial decisions.

The kind of decisions a guardian can be authorised to make include:

  1. Where a person should live;
  2. What support services the person should receive;
  3. What health care and medical treatment the person should receive; and
  4. Restrictive practices appropriate in the management of the persons behaviour.

Where to from here?

At the initial consultation we will take instructions from you to commence the process of making an application for Financial Management and/or Guardianship.

Prior to attending your conference with us, we will send you an information form for your completion and to assist you to gather the relevant information required.

Please contact Amanda Little & Associates Estates to book an appointment with one of our Financial Management and Guardianship Solicitors to discuss your matter on 0247 616 935.